Here you can address missing features and enhancement recommendations for the app. The Jeppesen development team will constantly review this discussion to understand your needs.

Views: 17161

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Benjamin,

we are looking into different possible additional platforms for the future. This includes Android, Windows 8, and iPhone as well. We are evaluationg Pro's and Con's. And for sure: Customer feedback is a main part of this evaluation process !

As of now, a decision is not yet made which new platform will be the next. As soon as we have a decision, we will post it here.

For the "Mobile FliteDeck VFR Team",

Markus

While Jeppesen is still making up its mind, SkyDemon has all of these already and adding more features monthly. I would recommend that Jeppesen get iOS version up to competition levels first. The recent Notam release is poor and needs fixing.
well I agree totally with Art. With Jeppesens developing speed "other platforms" like Android and Windows can not really be a serious choice. I initially thought that Jeppesen could catch up with competitors because they already own the data with worldwide coverage. But lately I doubt that.

...even in the danger that I repeat myself:

• there was NO improvement to the "European" (ha!) coverage since May/June - only 5 countries are present
  • only minor updates in terms of functionality

Jepp did good marketing in spring and they caught me - but I really did expect more from Jeppesen. For me only 2 countries (Austria, Germany) are practically used. This is not what I have expected from "European coverage". If the situation is not changing quickly - I will discontinue.

regards

Gerhard

Jeppesen has a great treasure (their outstanding aviation charts), however they don't know how to lift it. They simpy do not understand that good apps are the key for marketing their charts. This is not only true for ther iPad apps, but for hopelessly outdated windows programs as well.

Don't expect any any dramatic changes in the near future...

best regards

Stephan

Gerhard Hausberger said:

...even in the danger that I repeat myself:

• there was NO improvement to the "European" (ha!) coverage since May/June - only 5 countries are present
  • only minor updates in terms of functionality

Jepp did good marketing in spring and they caught me - but I really did expect more from Jeppesen. For me only 2 countries (Austria, Germany) are practically used. This is not what I have expected from "European coverage". If the situation is not changing quickly - I will discontinue.

regards

Gerhard

I have never started using the electronic VFR+GPS charts. Jeppesen has placed itself outside the market now. For years they prohibited electronic distribution of digitized maps of their VFR+GPS product. No competitor was allowed to use their charts, although Jeppesen itself had no electronic offering. This is sad. I have used the VFR+GPS paper charts for years. Their great advantage was the huge coverage area in Europe. Then no more updates of some countries, then discontinuation of paper charts by the End/2013. Then no enhanced European coverage.

Thankfully competitors have caught up. DFS now has charts for a lot of European Counties. Gamin has adopted them for their handheld GPS product line (795/796). Many iPAD apps use them as well (SkyMap, AirNav Pro, ...).

I think it is time for Jeppesen to call it a day and stop all VFR activities all together. Very sad, I liked the VFR+GPS product a lot!

And by the way: Look at JeppView for Windows. Jeppesen has Vector charts/maps for the entire globe (VFR, Euro VFR representation etc.). If they only displayed those data on an iPAD in an APP every VFR pilot would be happy. But no, Jeppesen does not understand Customers.

Now, if RocketRoute and SkyDemon get their APPS improved and they use the FREE European IFR Database of EASA, no more Jeppesen IFR charts. Jeppesen could disappear in less than 3 years, I guess. Maybe a little bit longer. Remember IBM PCs? Or Grundig TV sets?

An excellent summary from Gerhard and totally agree. It is a shame the VFR+GPS paper charts are disappearing. It is clear that Jeppesen don't have any real interest in VFR and seemingly not committing any resources to it. It's probably a strategic decision and don't understand why they bothered with Mobile Flitedeck VFR. Its so far behind and moving forward at a snail's pace. Like all big corporations who move slowly, the more nimble and progressive smaller players eventually undermine the monoliths. Have Jeppesen surrendered the VFR market?

I think mobile flite deck VFR has  potential to be a very good aviation app,  what we have now is kind of a half  developed prototype.  At  $49 a year its "almost" not a bad buy, although I understand and am astonished at what price Jepp tries to sell this for in Europe  Basically what this is, its an electric map.  Aside from some errors I see in how overlapping  special use air space is displayed,  it is very reminiscent of the VFR+GPS charts, which I thought superior to NACO sectionals.  I keep it and use it for enroute navgation fo that purpose.  However, its woefully shy of the features you see in other applications such as imported winds aloft for flight planning,  radar overlays, TFRS and other weather features such as fronts, the blitzen,  fuel prices, etc.  $75 a year with Foreflight gives me all of that, but, it gives me sectionals, not VFR+GPS charts, so I will hang on to the Jepp product for awhile.  Jepp folks did have a post in this thread or maybe it was another one saying that in January they expect to come out with an updated, more full featured version of this product which would incorporate the features we see in other products.    It would be good if the folks at Jepp could update us on their progress.

You are from US right ?

The European coverage is around Euro 340 (USD 440) - there was a special for those who have already the approach plates - but with this "service" its not even worth the Euro 175. So there is price difference between US and Europe.

Mack Donald said:

I think mobile flite deck VFR has  potential to be a very good aviation app,  what we have now is kind of a half  developed prototype.  At  $49 a year its "almost" not a bad buy, although I understand and am astonished at what price Jepp tries to sell this for in Europe  Basically what this is, its an electric map.  Aside from some errors I see in how overlapping  special use air space is displayed,  it is very reminiscent of the VFR+GPS charts, which I thought superior to NACO sectionals.  I keep it and use it for enroute navgation fo that purpose.  However, its woefully shy of the features you see in other applications such as imported winds aloft for flight planning,  radar overlays, TFRS and other weather features such as fronts, the blitzen,  fuel prices, etc.  $75 a year with Foreflight gives me all of that, but, it gives me sectionals, not VFR+GPS charts, so I will hang on to the Jepp product for awhile.  Jepp folks did have a post in this thread or maybe it was another one saying that in January they expect to come out with an updated, more full featured version of this product which would incorporate the features we see in other products.    It would be good if the folks at Jepp could update us on their progress.

Hello Gerhard, yes thats the number I heard,  Jepp is selling you a product that cost almost ten times what the US product costs.  There is no way the product would sell for that here,  For comparison, $125 a year with Foreflight is full IFR with georeferenced approach plates and airport diagrams for the entire country.  Before the US version came out, I was able to play around with the European version and as near as I can tell,  we both have the exact same list of features, except you pay 10 times what I do. Of course you got far better healthcare, but I digress.... 

Here, I believe Jeppesen needs to improve its features to make it competitive with the other worthy alternates out there;  Over where you are,  I believe they need to give you solid value for your money

I look forward to Jepps comments on these matters.

Gerhard Hausberger said:

You are from US right ?

The European coverage is around Euro 340 (USD 440) - there was a special for those who have already the approach plates - but with this "service" its not even worth the Euro 175. So there is price difference between US and Europe.

Mack Donald said:

FliteDeck VFR is designed around the private pilot workflow. It is by intention that not all features are thrown in, but it instead evolves with care and rigor. Its biggest value is the data it is built upon – data managed carefully and to strict standards with an impressive manpower required. This is because across Europe, data to the extent used inside FD VFR is nowhere available today.

Although Jeppesen marketed the five countries already covered, it should have been (and is) obvious that many customers expect more countries to be added. Jeppesen is working on it, making sure the required quality will be delivered as you expect.

Meanwhile, development and testing is underway for future features. These features will again be different to what others have in place, but follow the above concept. This takes time and thought, and I know it remains a fluffy answer until it gets delivered ...

"This takes time and thought, and I know it remains a fluffy answer until it gets delivered ..."

yepp! As this is a very interested community it could be helpfull to keep us updated on Jeppesen plans about this product.

I dont even understamd the strict concept of seperating IFR from VFR with completely different apps and developer teams. Shell there always be two apps? What features are coming? What can we expect in future?

At the moment I have to switch the apps in flight if I want a ILS frequency in my VOR (not integrated in Jepp VFR). Those infos have been on all approach plates since ever. The product feels incomplete and as interested I am in the digital version of Jeppesen Charts as concerned I am that Jeppersen understands the needs of its customers.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Forum

PRODUCT SUPPORT

In this category you find discussion which should support you in finding answers regarding general or technical questions.

119 discussions

PRODUCT TIPS & TRICKS

Here we share useful information about new features and functions of Jeppesen Mobile FliteDeck VFR.

1 discussions

© 2017   Jeppesen   Powered by

Badges  |     |  Terms of Service