This thread is supposed to become a collection of tips and tricks which can be directly app related or more generic when it comes to using the iPad in the aircraft.

Views: 1870

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello,

I dearly hope you are applying ISO Standards... Still: Just because you use standards for quality management / code management doesn't mean that the app is efficient. One thing has nothing to do with the other. The cpu usage must have a source. And it's not like other companies don't apply quality standards (if this was the case we should reconsider the standards we are using).

I'm just saying: Jeppesen eats up more CPU than other apps. And... it's especially high when flying (there it's also laggy).

Fun thing is that the lagging is similar on an iPad 2 and an iPad Air 2....

Tobias

Mark Neumann said:

Hello Tobias,

thank you for your involvement and passion for our product. I can see it with the time you invest to write us. One thing I want to point out regarding your assumption, that our FD VFR would waste CPU cycles and impact safety. This is not true at all. One may miss features, but the code existing is programmed following state-of-the art Boeing and ISO software and quality management processes.

Best regards

Mark

Tobias Goeller said:

Hi Mark,

If you have a look at the picture the original poster attached you get what I mean, I think.

I am very aware that iPad et. al. are consumer products and as such not 100% reliable. Still, if you offer a product for an app you should try to make it as compatible and as safe as possible.

20% CPU Load isn't too much. 100% isn't. But if you waste CPU-Cycles (and as a result of this) eat up 20% of battery per hour where only about 10% is necessary, that's a problem that should be addressed.

If an app leads to overheating a device (and I don't care what device it is) the reason for this should be found and eliminated. Or - if it's a device problem - the device should be excluded from use.

Don't get me wrong: I love the data you provide. But, to be brutally honest: The app in its current state is not really good.

Tobias

Mark Neumann said:

Hello Tobias,

I am not sure how to understand your comment. I agree that overheating of iPads is a risk scenario for ipad charting and has to be mitigated. On the other hand the iPad hardware is a consumer electronics product for the general market. Its design provisions do not include cockpit use per se, which means the operator is required to provide environmental conditions that allow safe airborne usage of an iPad. Note that not even Toughpads are designed for pilots requirements. Tablets designed for cockpit use are available from avionics systems suppliers at a much higher price.

Regarding computing power: iPad Pro has 22x computing power compared to the iPad 1st gen. GPU performance even has increased 360x. The product lifecycle of an iPad is usually 2 to 3 years maximum.

If CPU load of our app is the subject ti criticism: how much load would safely allow iPad operation in which mounting and weather conditions and on which device? Is 20% too much, and how would the charts look like in that case? It is a tradeoff between paper (no power consumption, no overheating), pre-composed charts (which is like showing a book in TV and turning pages) and a dynamically rendered depiction as in our app.

Best regards

Mark

Tobias Goeller said:

As much as I like the image... it reminds me of some laurel & hardy sketch. It's a perfect solution for a problem that should (must!) not exist in the first place.

In addition, not all aircrafts have a vent located that close... try doing this in a C172... 

Tobias

Frank Seja said:

Dear all,

iPad overheating in summer? No problem: check the attached picture.

Bottom of the iPad is vented with outside air. No overheating, even on day with 40°C ground temperature.

No overheating for the iPad !!! - the pilot stays cool when the iPad is happy.

Have fun.

Frank

Dear all,

we really can not blame Jeppesen for the iPad overheating issue. All tablets have the same problem: the hardware gets to hot in the sun. Even if you leave a tablet in the sun, with no app running at all, the tablet will shut of or boil sooner or later.

Best regards

Frank

Hi Frank,

Yes and no.

No, we can't blame jeppesen for problems that have physical origins. But, on the other hand, yes, we can blame them.

Other apps do not have the problem during flight. And Jeppesen App uses much more juice than other apps (hence producing more heat).

And that CAN be a problem. They should look into this (as I pointed out in another reply today) and try to fix it.

Still, it's not something that would prevent me using the app. There are ways to cope with battery-eating apps...

Tobias

Frank Seja said:

Dear all,

we really can not blame Jeppesen for the iPad overheating issue. All tablets have the same problem: the hardware gets to hot in the sun. Even if you leave a tablet in the sun, with no app running at all, the tablet will shut of or boil sooner or later.

Best regards

Frank

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Forum

PRODUCT SUPPORT

In this category you will find discussion which should support you in finding answers regarding general or technical questions.

120 discussions

PRODUCT TIPS & TRICKS

Here we share useful information about new features and functions of Jeppesen Mobile FliteDeck VFR.

1 discussions

© 2017   Jeppesen   Powered by

Badges  |     |  Terms of Service